Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 HW Allingham and the Airline Coupes
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2020 :  04:01:08  Show Profile
That information, along with NA0539 & NA0541 too, are on their way to me by carrier pidgeon now.
Provided the floods subside, after the fires, and the bird flu does not strike it down, we will learn more in time.

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2020 :  09:32:19  Show Profile
:-)
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2020 :  15:32:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KevinA

At the risk of asking a very obvious question, what do the dispatch record/build documentation file say for NA540? Assuming they still exist of course.

Kevin, if you're referring to the factory chassis records we're all familiar with, most (or all) of the N-Type files are missing. There's nothing for my NB NA0870 nor my Airline NA0540.

tommm in now snowy Ohio
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2020 :  16:14:21  Show Profile
Ah, that makes sense. I thought it would be too easy!

My 18/80 has no factory chassis records though either but the service records do exist so it will be interesting to see if something turns up with Tony via carrier pigeon as he mentions above
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2020 :  16:57:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mgtommm

most (or all) of the N-Type files are missing.

Tom,
fortunately, the situation with the N-type files is much better than you suspect.

As far as my experience goes, most of them are there, with the exception of a sad large gap between NA0699 and NA0899.

Surely there is one or the other missing between, but you should consider the loop ways which the files have taken since Mike Allison has saved them for us in the factory - - first the Car Club office in Abingdon - - then a while at Houghton - - then the period in the office at Boston (Lincolnshire)- - and finally now to the Car Club office at Abingdon.

By mischance the files of both cars you mention are missing, but usually there is a good chance to get a copy of your file.

I mostly was lucky, when I wrote to Ineke Sherman <Ineke@mgcc.co.uk>

Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2020 :  18:15:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Gerhard Maier

quote:
Originally posted by mgtommm

most (or all) of the N-Type files are missing.

Tom,
fortunately, the situation with the N-type files is much better than you suspect.

As far as my experience goes, most of them are there, with the exception of a sad large gap between NA0699 and NA0899.

Surely there is one or the other missing between, but you should consider the loop ways which the files have taken since Mike Allison has saved them for us in the factory - - first the Car Club office in Abingdon - - then a while at Houghton - - then the period in the office at Boston (Lincolnshire)- - and finally now to the Car Club office at Abingdon.

By mischance the files of both cars you mention are missing, but usually there is a good chance to get a copy of your file.

I mostly was lucky, when I wrote to Ineke Sherman <Ineke@mgcc.co.uk>

Gerhard

Yes Gerhard, I have physically checked the N-Type files, hoping against hope they've magically somehow turned up again. The story I have gotten is they were trashed by the widow of a fellow who was consolidating N information and sadly passed away.

Bummer!! (But very fortunate & grateful Mike got what he got! I'm 4 for 4 on my other MMM's but 0 for 2 on my N-Types.....)
tommm

Edited by - mgtommm on 14/02/2020 18:16:53
Go to Top of Page

whirlwind

New Zealand
94 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2020 :  04:58:08  Show Profile
Hello
On Page 2 of this topic Graeme posted a Photo of an Airline wearing
a P - TYPE rear plate. I indicated I had the same but uncropped.
Finally here it is. Olympia Motor Show 1935

Colin

Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2020 :  05:11:33  Show Profile
Must have been a press or setup day with all the covers in place ?.

If only someone could colourise this photo, so we could see which P-Type Airline it was ?.

Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2020 :  05:49:52  Show Profile
Hi Colin
Here is an unrestored picture of PA0286 probably taken in 1984 after the car had been on blocks since December 1955 when it failed the MOT. The car was registered as back and silver so it probably precludes it as the 1935 show car. 1934 another story of course.
Regds
Graeme

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2020 :  15:52:13  Show Profile
MG3528 is PA0286. That is, indeed, the first Airline Coupe, and last in the ownership of Peter Briggs of Australia.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2020 :  21:07:01  Show Profile
Graeme I don't believe there were any MOT's until 1960. When I acquired this car the owner told me he had taken it off the road during the war. I think this picture was taken at Barry Walkers after I sold the car.

TH
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2020 :  21:55:04  Show Profile
Here is a colourised version of the Motor Show Car - appears to be a Duo-Tone Grey.

Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2020 :  06:33:24  Show Profile
Hi Terry
I've just checked through the file.
The information was in a letter from Frankie Horwood to Martyn Wise, Editor of the MG Enthusiast magazine, dated 10 July 1985. You wrote to Frankie Horwood in June 1984 telling him that the car was on the road regularly up to 1954/55 when Eggleston laid it up in his lock-up garage intending to restore it. Frankie obviously added the MOT bit to your story. You did not mention to Frankie the storage of the car during the war but, of course, cars were often stored by their owners during the war awaiting the cessation of hostilities and the end of rationing.
Regds
Graeme
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  02:28:09  Show Profile
Hi All
You may have noticed in the latest Safety Fast that the owner of PA0286, Peter Briggs, asked me to place an ad for the car. As part of working out the provenance of the car, I put together a small booklet on Henry William Allingham and Peter's car. I did it on Blurb as an Ebook. If anyone would like a copy it can be downloaded for a small cost at: https://au.blurb.com/b/9986339-the-first-mg-pa-airline-coupe?ebook=718403
I became fascinated by Henry Allingham and the book covers his life. It is a shame his story is rarely told.
Thanks everyone. I hope the car finds a new owner who appreciates the story of how the Airline Coupes were designed and built.
Graeme
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  02:55:57  Show Profile
Thanks, Graeme! I just ordered my hard copy.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000