Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM Dealerships
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2014 :  20:54:09  Show Profile
Thanks Colin, I will do some research into this dealership, some initial searches that I have just done seem to link Cook & Palmer to Crossley cars in the same period. My ultimate aim is to have pictures and period documents for every dealership on the database.

Thanks

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 30/07/2014 20:56:03
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2014 :  21:28:34  Show Profile
Imperial Motors, Cheltenham:

Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2014 :  21:31:40  Show Profile
Hi

Here is an update on how the spreadsheet is coming along, pictures 1 and 2 are a scan of the main spreadsheet (different section then the image I posted on the 27/7). Image 3 is the car data for the dealership lookup, thanks to the detail members are giving me on their car's I have expanded this section to include 'model', 'date of supply' and a hyper-link to each car's guarantee card (where provided).

There is also a column on the main spreadsheet (not visible) called first association this is intended to be the year that the dealership first became MG agents.

I am grateful to all the members that have supplied me with information - I currently have 15 cars that are on the spreadsheet, I would be interested and grateful to here about any information on others cars.

Thanks

Matthew

Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2014 :  21:38:02  Show Profile
Thanks for the image JMH - I have added it to the IM's picture file. I am not an expert on my MMM models as yet but I would say that the car is a very nice J2?

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 30/07/2014 21:38:23
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2014 :  23:07:07  Show Profile
It has been called "THE J2", but I'm biased......

JH
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  02:33:40  Show Profile
Perhaps this will help. I'll also attach a photo of Brigden and Company in Brighton when I find it.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  02:40:46  Show Profile
Herewith a photo of Brigden & Company at 187 Western Road, Brighton in the day and one showing the building in recent times.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  15:58:45  Show Profile
Skurrays of Swindon were MG dealers pre-war, ref. Ian Williamson's article on the Slade Trophy in the yearbook for 1995, but I don't know if that includes the MMM period... There is a small pic in the article too.

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  19:52:08  Show Profile
Thanks for that informtion Lew, there is lot on that list that need adding to the spreadsheet and thanks for the Bridgen photos I have added them to their file.

Thanks Graham for letting me know about the article, although whereabouts would I get access to this artice (MMM website only goes upto 1993). I have done a quick google search and found that there is a modern day Skurray's of Swindon(Vauxhall), would it be fair to say the two are one and the same? If that is the case I might give them a ring and see if they can shed any light of their history as an MG dealer.

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  20:05:50  Show Profile
In Northern Ireland, Victor Ltd. were the Belfast Distributor (see Lew's post above) and the main agent for Northern Ireland. The factory dispatch card from the Sales Dperatment to the Service Department referred to "Main Agent" which in the case of my car -J3437 - was Victor Ltd. But the Guarantee Card asked the purchaser to specify the name and address of the Dealer from whom the car was actually purchased and in the case of my car it was "Mr Topping, Dublin Road Garage, Enniskillen". TP Topping is still in business on the Dublin Road in Enniskillen - see www.tptopping.com - but is now a Ford and Landrover dealer.

Victor Ltd. was owned by Victor Ferguson, brother of Harry Ferguson of four wheel drive and Ferguson Tractor fame, and he was a regular competitor in MGs at hill climbs in Northern Ireland in the early 1930s. He is thought to have died in a road accident when driving a J3 but as yet we haven't been able to confirm this. Watch this space!

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 31/07/2014 20:13:30
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  20:21:47  Show Profile
Hi Simon,

Thanks for that information, especially that on Victor Ltd, I am from a farming family (though not directly involved) and I never knew about the link to Harry Ferguson, very interesting.

I do have Victor Ltd on the spreadsheet but not Mr Topping, I am still devising the best method of displaying the fact that some cars arrived at a main dealer first, as I understand it was a common occurrence. UM being prevalent.

Thanks for the information on your car as well, sorry to be annoying but would it also be possible to give me the date of supply? (just for completeness of the record for the lookup.)

Thanks once again

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  20:33:03  Show Profile
Hi Matthew,

My father, who was living in Enniskillen at the time, ordered the J2 from Mr. Topping and it started down the production line on 13 July 1933. The dispatch card shows that it was delivered to Victor Ltd on 14 August 1933 (my father's twenty third birthday as it happens!). He actually collected the car at Victor's in Belfast on 18 August, the date of its original registration with its Fermanagh number, IL 2151.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Richard Le Flufy

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  11:57:26  Show Profile
My swept wing J2 (J3612) was delivered to University Motors on 3 Oct 33 but then passed sometime after to Mansfields of Brighton without being registered. They sold her to Manns Motors of Brighton on 16 Feb 1934 and she was first registered by Manns on 17 Feb 1934. Hence she has a Brighton registration number (AUF 69), not the traditional UM MGxxxx number.
Does anyone know more about either Mansfields or Manns of Brighton?
Thanks
Richard Le F
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  14:06:47  Show Profile

quote:
Originally posted by JMH

It has been called "THE J2", but I'm biased......

JH

I'll gladly go along with the biased Mr Hawke. Honour to whom honour is due and all that.
Although he might claim 'THE (Modern) Midget' as well, but I'm afraid that one's taken by mine, sorry !

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  15:23:23  Show Profile
Graham mentions Skurrays of Swindon as a possibility of being MG dealers pre-war.

My old 2 seat NB was one of 3 to be sold by Skurrays to the Chief Constable of Wiltshire for use as Police cars. They were black with blue upholstery/radiator slats and were slightly modified eg battery carrier placed under the driver's seat, passenger seat offset etc.

NA0960 appears to be the only survivor, I know the Chief Constable's bought one after the Police had finished using it and wrote it off in France!

George
L2023 and used to own NA0960
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000