Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM Dealerships
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2014 :  16:49:50  Show Profile
Thanks Graham for the information it would be nice to hear from those owners if possible. As for GNA 115, please see the scan I could have misread the writing.

Thanks

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 17/09/2014 16:50:10
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2014 :  13:07:21  Show Profile
I think that could be GNA 175, but still nothing on Register...

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2014 :  16:30:36  Show Profile
xNA is a Manchester registration - so that fits with the garage invoice.
I am sure that the registration anoraks on the forum can tell us when the GNA series was issued.

Edit
Have now gone and had a closer look at the invoice, dated 1939.
It says that the car is new. Sales of M's can't have been that slow that they still had stock some 8 years after 1931 !
I would think that the "Midget" bit is the cause of all the trouble.
My money is on the car being a VA,SA or WA.
There is a GNE registered car on the SVW Register. My VA EYA 73 of 1939 would also fit into the GNA period.

2nd edit !
Now that Keiths post has appeared - ignore all that guff about SVW's - I forgot all about those pesky T-Types !!!!

Edited by - tonym on 18/09/2014 16:43:31
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2014 :  16:40:59  Show Profile
I would guess that the letter refers to a T type as it is dated 1939 and states that the car is new and has not been previously registered. If it was a Triple M model it must have hung around a hell of long time before it sold.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2014 :  17:40:42  Show Profile
My personal opinion is that the invoice is from 1931, its not quite visible on the scan, but I think it is Mr Leggott's joined up writing as the 3 flicks on to a 1 but the flow of the writing has made it look like a nine. I say this because I asked the archive to specifically look for any information relating to the period 1929-1936.

Thanks

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2014 :  19:18:32  Show Profile
I am about 99% sure this must be dated as 1939, as that would track with a registration number that late. This more than a quirky stroke of the pen and an over-eager archivist. In that case, the car would be a T-type Midget (TA or TB).
By the way, Joseph Cockshoot & Co. Ltd. still has an interesting website detailing much history of the company. See:
http://www.racingwax.com/index.html

And lots of other historical information on the company can be found by Googling "Joseph Cockshoot & Co."

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Edited by - LewPalmer on 18/09/2014 19:23:16
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2014 :  19:34:05  Show Profile
Your all correct, I was wrong. I just did a DVLA vehicle check and it seems an MG registration GNA 175 first registered on 1/1/1940 is still surviving.

My research in this case has been a little off the mark but I'll keep going to find snippets of information like this relating to MMM's.

Thanks

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2014 :  16:19:06  Show Profile
Interesting that people were still buying new cars after the outbreak of World War 2.
When did petrol rationing start ?
I wonder if it was a ploy to get extra petrol coupons
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2014 :  20:17:05  Show Profile
Following on from some good advice, I have decided to breakdown my requests for information into manageable sections. Ideally in order to populate my spreadsheet require a few pieces of information on every car. Ideally if members could supply me with the following:

Chassis No
Date of Supply or Registration
Model
Distributing Dealer
Destination Dealer

This is by no means a exhaustive list, as I said in one of my first posts on the topic the histories of these car fascinate me, so I would love to hear about the background of your car. Apologies for waffling on. Getting back to my first sentence I have chosen to request information week by week on dealerships based on the county in which they operated.

I have chosen my home county of Lancashire to start, please see below for the dealers I have found in Lancashire, if there is a dealership missing please let me know, for example I only discovered G A Eayrs last week. As always any information will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 22/09/2014 20:23:04
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2014 :  20:23:45  Show Profile
Paragon Motors of Oldham supplied my M Type, chassis no 985 on 28th Feb 1930 if that's of help in your quest... There appears to be no step between the factory and Paragon Motors, so I assume it was dispatched directly to them...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2014 :  22:33:20  Show Profile
Thanks for the information Hugh, I will add your car to the spreadsheet, Paragon Motors in Oldham is yet another dealer I haven't come across so thanks for letting me know.

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2014 :  18:15:50  Show Profile
Following on from my post on the 22nd, below is a list of the dealerships in West Yorkshire I have come across. Any information on car's supplied by these dealers would be great, similarly if I have missed a dealership please let me know.

Thanks once again for your continued input and support.

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  19:31:59  Show Profile
Hi All,

This week I have chosen South Yorkshire dealerships in my quest for information. I need to remove E Claybourn from the list, I'm unsure how I came to add them to the spreadsheet. After speaking with the owners son I discovered that they never supplied MG's, instead they were main dealers for Singer.

I currently have 28 cars linked with their supplying dealer, any information on other cars will always be appreciated. Similarly if there is a dealership I have missed or the information is incorrect please let me know.

Thanks

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 02/10/2014 19:35:15
Go to Top of Page

Blithe Spirit

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  09:25:52  Show Profile
My J3 was registered in the West Riding (YG), so I had assumed it was supplied by or via Appleyards. Am I correct that they were the only main dealer covering this area?
Regards,
David
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  17:13:23  Show Profile
Hi David,

My research so far has brought me across one other main dealer that operated in Bradford, B Waterhouse & Sons. I am unsure whether or not you are aware of the chassis files held by the MG Car club. They may hold a record for your car, in which case it should have details of the dealership that supplied your car. If you do happen to find out the supplying dealer if you could let me know and then I can add the car to the spreadsheet.

Thanks

Matthew
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000