Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM Dealerships
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2014 :  15:07:18  Show Profile
My M type, 2M 1056, was from the Haslemere Motor Co. Ltd., Morris House, Station Road, Aldershot on 21st March 1930. Not sure if they are the main dealer, but were Wadhams (H.M.C.) Ltd., in late 1960s, and they had branches Guildford, Woking and Haslemere, so I think so.
Hope this OK.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2014 :  18:02:43  Show Profile
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information on your car. On the spreadsheet I have a couple of branches for the Haselmere Motor Co Ltd. According to the record I have, the branch that supplied your car was not classified as a main dealer. Their main branch was in Guildford, which would tie in somewhat with the 1960's business having a branch in Guildford.

It is also an interesting name choice for the 1960's business as it would suggest to me that is was a amalgamation of the afore mentioned and Wadham Brothers, whom operated several branches in a similar geographical area in the 1930's.

Thanks once again.

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 17/10/2014 18:08:35
Go to Top of Page

DanPA

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2014 :  21:22:38  Show Profile
PA2108 sold Oct. 8, 1936, by Victor, Ltd., 17/19 Queen St. Belfast, N. Ireland. Must have sat unsold for a year or more.

Dan Shockey
California, USA

Daniel Shockey
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2014 :  22:09:43  Show Profile
Hi Dan,

Thanks I will add it to the spreadsheet. Its hard to imagine an MMM struggling to sell.

Thanks

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

wct

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2014 :  23:46:20  Show Profile
Matthew,
J2 #3343 ALA 901, built 8 May,1933. Document dates/text not too clear. Selling dealer is Ratcliffe Bros., Frenton on Sea. Document dated 17-8-33 asking factory to extend warranty to new owner after Ratcliffe Bros. staff put 1500 miles on the car. 4 Sept., 1933 warranty extended to 'new owner', Mr. Richards, 36 (or 56) Pepy's Road, New Cross, London S(?). Document 6th Oct., 1933 for tuning, shock adjustment, oil and testing for "crankshaft (bump?)" at Ratcliffe Bros., 200 (??) Portland St. London W.1.

J2 3343 in California since ~1962, My ownership since 1971.

Bill Traill
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2014 :  11:33:29  Show Profile
Hi Bill,

Ratcliffe Brothers is a dealer I wasn't aware of, so thank you for bringing it to my attention - another good avenue for research. Thank you also for the information on your car, do you happen to have any record of a distributing dealership or did your car go straight to Ratcliffe Brothers from the factory?

Thanks

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2014 :  14:31:50  Show Profile
This car went to Ratcliffe Bros. via University Motors Limited.

'Frenton on Sea' should read 'Frinton-on-Sea'.

JOHN JAMES www.ttypes.org
'Proud to be independent'.
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2014 :  17:05:17  Show Profile
Thanks John for letting me know.

My apologies for the long delay between updates I have had a fairly busy week. To complete the Yorkshire dealerships this week covers East Yorkshire. Its interesting to note that all the Hull dealerships were based on Anlaby Road, by all accounts I think this trend of geographical proximity continued into the 1960's. There is a bit of mystery surrounding Holthy White & Co (I'm not even sure if I have the name right).

All I have managed to discover so far, is that at a later date, the same location was occupied by Kennings. I am also not convinced that these four dealers were the only ones in the East Yorkshire area, so any help filling in possible gaps in information would be greatly appreciated. Any and all information on cars is always welcome, and thank you to all for your continued support.

Thanks

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 18/10/2014 17:06:35
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
431 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2014 :  08:56:45  Show Profile
Hi Mattew.
The dispatch copies of L0671 and L2039 are difficult to read but if you send me a direct e mail adress I will mail you scanned copies for you to include in your searches. I can't incluce attachments in the forum mail.
Sven
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2014 :  18:31:03  Show Profile
Hi Sven,

Thanks for this information, I have sent you an email.

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2014 :  17:09:10  Show Profile
Hi All,

This week I have selected the dealerships in Cornwall, as you can see from from the scans I don't have any street addresses, so any information on those would be helpful, similarly any other information would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  19:54:24  Show Profile
CORNWALL DEALERS

Eyres Garage still exists here in Wadebridge, though it was recently put up for sale. Brooklyn, Wadebridge is all the address it has.
Local word is that the site will be cleared and redeveloped. It's an unattractive old tin building with no historic merit. I knew the recently deceased owner very well, and am certain that there are no old car parts or signs on the premises. I've had a good look!
I did buy a genuine unused J2 battery from them twenty five years ago but it unsurprisingly was a dud.

HTP Motors, known as "Hot Teddy Pasties" Motors (!) was in Truro many years ago, but no more. (Teddy be proper name fer Potato me 'ansome)

Brian
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  19:57:30  Show Profile
CORNWALL DEALERS

Eyres Garage still exists here in Wadebridge, though it was recently put up for sale. Brooklyn, Wadebridge is all the address it has.
Local word is that the site will be cleared and redeveloped. It's an unattractive old tin building with no historic merit. I knew the recently deceased owner very well, and am certain that there are no old car parts or signs on the premises. I've had a good look!
I did buy a genuine unused J2 battery from them twenty five years ago but it unsurprisingly was a dud.

HTP Motors, known as "Hot Teddy Pasties" Motors (!) was in Truro many years ago, but no more. (Teddy be proper name fer Potato me 'ansome)

I will get you details of the other dealers. I know a man who will know.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  22:33:20  Show Profile
Is this another dealership in Cornwall? Not very legible though.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  22:38:03  Show Profile
Hi Brian,

Thanks for this information, much appreciated. I did make the link with Eyres garage, and I did contact them but sadly I didn't receive a response.

Its an interesting name sake for HTP and very apt for the area. I often wonder the rational of dealership names and abbreviations, when they are not immediately obvious.

Thanks once again

Matthew
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000