Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM Dealerships
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  22:41:20  Show Profile
Hi Sam,

Thanks for this, I must admit it is a name I haven't come across, but I will do some more research. I don't know what your opinion is but I make it out to be Hawkey Howden Ltd?

Thanks

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3114 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  10:28:50  Show Profile
Hi Matthew,

I found the image on eBay (along with a non MG spare part). The image is the only information source. Perhaps a member in Newquay can assist?

It is of course possible that the parts to which the MG label related were supplied to a garage which was not a recognised MMM dealership but one which repaired the occasional MG.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 02/11/2014 10:34:42
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3114 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  10:47:49  Show Profile
On the theme of a non 'MMM garage' working with MG's or even selling them I have been doing some research relating to a 1933 J2 supplied new by Park Garage, Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough. Letters in the chassis file show the owner of the garage which sold the car was taking a special interest in tuning the J2.

Park Garage, Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough was owned by the famous Freddie Dixon whose name is strongly associated with Rileys. Was Park Garage, Middlesbrough ever a recognised MMM dealership?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
965 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  10:51:49  Show Profile
CORNISH GARAGES

I was interested in the reference to Cornish's Garage. This garage was situated in Perranporth, North Cornwall and there is a photograph of the garage as it existed in the 1930s on page 16 of Geoffrey Healey's book 'The Healey Story'. The book records that Geoff's grandfather set up his son (Donald Healey) in business with a garage on land adjoining 'The Red House' (Perranporth's General Store) owned by Grandfather Healey - it seems that Grandfather Healey owned most of Perranporth in those days!

The book also records that one of Geoff's brothers, Brian Healey (known as 'Bic') worked for HTP Motors in Truro for a while.

JOHN JAMES www.ttypes.org

'Proud to be independent'
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  12:05:33  Show Profile
Hello Mathew - finally got a chance to send this info on J3459:
1). J3459 "issued" 18-7-33 according to Delivery Sheet, which also shows issued dates for 3441 through 3470.
2). The Main Agent is listed as "Robinson Cambridge" on a card from the Sales Dept to the Service Dept, signed by the Dispatch Dept.
3). Another card, which s headed " On receipt of this card, duly completed, we shall be pleased to forward a Certificate of Gaurantee and Instruction Book" ( a warranty registration card sent in by original owner perhaps), there is an entry for the "name and address from whom car was actually purchased", which is largely unreadable! The first name may be Casswell or Carswells, followed by Garage, and fortunately, the Town is the same as where to original buyer lived, and is legible in his address as Newmarket. This card has a clear note at the bottom that says "H.Robinson Ltd.", which would confirm 2). above.
4) I also have a typed note that the car, in September of 1933, after going back to MG for service work at 2100 indicated miles, the car was to be delivered to The Morris Garage, Clarendon Depot, where the owner recovered it.

Hope ths helps, will recheck the original documents and try to better decipher that Newmarket dealer's name.

Cheers, Koke T-S, Barnard, Vt USA

KTS
J3459
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  12:34:47  Show Profile
Hi John,

Thanks for letting me know about the book, I am currently restoring an Austin Healey with my Dad, and I knew of the link between the Healey's and Cornwall, but not actual direct links between specific places.

With regards to your query Sam, I have got F Dixon on my spreadsheet, and the information source was Lew Palmer's dealers and distributors list dated 1937, which he kindly scanned onto page 3 of this thread. Out of interest, do you have the information on the date of supply for your J2 and the distributing dealer that upheld the guarantee?

Thank you Koke for the information on your car, I will add it to the spreadsheet. The main agent looks to be Herbert Robinson whom operated out of Regent Street in Cambridge. My research to date has discovered that this dealership was run as part of a chain using the same name, controlled by a co-operative group, and that in the 1990's the controlling party was absorbed into the modern day Co-op Group.

I have contacted the co-op to try and obtain any information they may hold, the lady I spoke to did recall the name and she was going to do some further research and get back to me.

Thanks

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3114 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  17:42:01  Show Profile

The J2 I referred to is noted in the references above. I imagine Frank Scott was the MMM agent but it was Freddie Dixon who actually sold it. It is interesting that Freddie Dixon noted "From Works" which suggests that Frank Scott did not have to do much other than 'uphold the guarantee'.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  20:29:14  Show Profile
Hi Sam,

Thanks for scans of the guarantee card, do you have the chassis number for the car?

Thanks

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  19:26:44  Show Profile
Hi All,

Apologies for the lateness of this update and thanks for the responses to the Cornish dealers they have been very helpful. This week I have chosen the Devon dealers I have on record. As always any help would be greatly appreciated. It would seem I am still at the stage of identifying all the dealer's, as I discovered this evening looking at Peter Hentschel's topic on his car and its link with Crawshaw and Thirfield.

Thanks

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 06/11/2014 19:27:23
Go to Top of Page

roger

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  22:14:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by David R

I think Loxhams were major Lancashire dealers. They certainly had a garage - perhaps their main garage - in Preston in the 1950s. My uncle had an Austin A40 pickup which I am sure he bought from there about 1951 for his wholesale fish business. In 1962 he bought an Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire which had originally been supplied by Merigolds Ltd of 147/8 Church Street,Preston - presumably the Merigold Bros who had supplied George Eagle's L2. I still have the Sapphire's buff logbook.

David
J 3355 (originally supplied by H A Browell & Co Ltd of Leicester)

Go to Top of Page

roger

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  22:17:54  Show Profile
David just to correct you, I believe you mean H A Browetts & Co Ltd

Roger
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  18:26:51  Show Profile
Matthew,
My NA0574 was supplied to Mr Huntley of Regents street W1 on 8 Feb 1935.
The Dealer was Boon and Porter Ltd, 159-163 Castelnau SW13. The road is still there, Barnes area. It seems to be a filling station and Tesco express now.

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  20:08:44  Show Profile
Hi David,

Thanks for the information on your car, I will add it to the spreadsheet. Would I be correct in thinking University Motors upheld the guarantee?

Thanks

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  08:18:12  Show Profile
Yes Mat, UM guarantee of 6 months.
My J2 J3489, sold to Mr R Bickerton 20 Ashburn Place SW7 on 5-10-1933, by UM London W1, no sub agent.
(delivered to UM on 28-08-1933 so sat around only for 5 weeks)

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  17:45:30  Show Profile
Thanks David, much appreciated.

Matthew
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page